By Joshua L. Miller
Read Online or Download Accented America: The Cultural Politics of Multilingual Modernism (Modernist Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
The 'transnational' flip has reworked modernist reports, tough Western authority over modernism and positioning race and racial theories on the very centre of ways we now comprehend glossy literature. Modernism and Race examines relationships among racial typologies and literature within the past due 19th and early 20th centuries, drawing on fin de siécle models of anthropology, sociology, political technology, linguistics and biology.
This publication addresses an under-researched sector of modernist reviews, reconsidering modernist attitudes in the direction of feeling within the gentle of the arts' flip to affect.
Whereas modernism's engagement with the occult has been approached by way of critics because the results of a lack of religion in illustration, an try to draw on technology because the basic discourse of modernity, or as a hidden historical past of principles, Leigh Wilson argues that those discourses have at their center a mystical perform which remakes the connection among global and illustration.
Why is liberalism so frequently brushed aside by way of thinkers from either the left and the ideal? to these calling for wholesale transformation or claiming a monopoly on “realistic” conceptions of humanity, liberalism’s guaranteed progressivism can look tough to swallow. Bleak Liberalism makes the case for a renewed realizing of the liberal culture, exhibiting that it really is even more attuned to the complexity of political lifestyles than traditional money owed have said.
- In the Company of Strangers: Family and Narrative in Dickens, Conan Doyle, Joyce, and Proust (Modernist Latitudes)
- Writing the City: Urban Visions and Literary Modernism (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- Queer Times: Christopher Isherwood's Modernity (Studies in Major Literary Authors)
- The African American Roots of Modernism: From Reconstruction to the Harlem Renaissance (The John Hope Franklin Series in African American History and Culture)
- The Wallflower Avant-Garde: Modernism, Sexuality, and Queer Ekphrasis
Additional info for Accented America: The Cultural Politics of Multilingual Modernism (Modernist Literature and Culture)
Accented America: The Cultural Politics of Multilingual Modernism (Modernist Literature and Culture) by Joshua L. Miller