By John Bell
Read Online or Download American Puppet Modernism: Essays on the Material World in Performance (Palgrave Studies in Theatre and Performance History) PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
The 'transnational' flip has reworked modernist reviews, tough Western authority over modernism and positioning race and racial theories on the very centre of ways we now comprehend sleek literature. Modernism and Race examines relationships among racial typologies and literature within the past due 19th and early 20th centuries, drawing on fin de siécle types of anthropology, sociology, political technological know-how, linguistics and biology.
This booklet addresses an under-researched zone of modernist experiences, reconsidering modernist attitudes in the direction of feeling within the mild of the arts' flip to affect.
Whereas modernism's engagement with the occult has been approached through critics because the results of a lack of religion in illustration, an try to draw on technological know-how because the fundamental discourse of modernity, or as a hidden background of principles, Leigh Wilson argues that those discourses have at their middle a mystical perform which remakes the connection among global and illustration.
Why is liberalism so usually disregarded by way of thinkers from either the left and the correct? to these calling for wholesale transformation or claiming a monopoly on “realistic” conceptions of humanity, liberalism’s guaranteed progressivism can appear challenging to swallow. Bleak Liberalism makes the case for a renewed realizing of the liberal culture, exhibiting that it really is even more attuned to the complexity of political existence than traditional money owed have stated.
- Translating Modernism: Fitzgerald and Hemingway
- Modernist Experiments in Genre, Media, and Transatlantic Print Culture (Studies in Publishing History: Manuscript, Print, Digital)
- The Point Is To Change It: Poetry and Criticism in the Continuing Present (Modern & Contemporary Poetics)
- Green Modernism: Nature and the English Novel, 1900 to 1930 (Literatures, Cultures, and the Environment)
- Modernism, Feminism and the Culture of Boredom
- The Cambridge Companion to Modern American Poetry (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
Additional resources for American Puppet Modernism: Essays on the Material World in Performance (Palgrave Studies in Theatre and Performance History)
American Puppet Modernism: Essays on the Material World in Performance (Palgrave Studies in Theatre and Performance History) by John Bell