Read Online or Download British Fiction and Cross-Cultural Encounters: Ethnographic Modernism from Wells to Woolf PDF
Similar literary modernism criticism books
The 'transnational' flip has remodeled modernist reviews, tough Western authority over modernism and positioning race and racial theories on the very centre of the way we now comprehend smooth literature. Modernism and Race examines relationships among racial typologies and literature within the past due 19th and early 20th centuries, drawing on fin de siécle types of anthropology, sociology, political technology, linguistics and biology.
This publication addresses an under-researched zone of modernist reports, reconsidering modernist attitudes in the direction of feeling within the mild of the arts' flip to affect.
Whereas modernism's engagement with the occult has been approached via critics because the results of a lack of religion in illustration, an try to draw on technological know-how because the fundamental discourse of modernity, or as a hidden heritage of principles, Leigh Wilson argues that those discourses have at their middle a paranormal perform which remakes the connection among global and illustration.
Why is liberalism so usually brushed off by means of thinkers from either the left and the best? to these calling for wholesale transformation or claiming a monopoly on “realistic” conceptions of humanity, liberalism’s guaranteed progressivism can look challenging to swallow. Bleak Liberalism makes the case for a renewed figuring out of the liberal culture, exhibiting that it truly is even more attuned to the complexity of political lifestyles than traditional money owed have said.
- How Strange the Change: Language, Temporality, and Narrative Form in Peripheral Modernisms (Stanford Studies in Jewish History and C)
- The Life and Work of Thomas MacGreevy: A Critical Reappraisal (Historicizing Modernism)
- British Literature and Classical Music: Cultural Contexts 1870-1945 (Historicizing Modernism)
- Marianne Moore, Subversive Modernist
- The New Death: American Modernism and World War I (The American Literatures Initiative)
- Modernist Nowheres: Politics and Utopia in Early Modernist Writing, 1900-1920
Additional resources for British Fiction and Cross-Cultural Encounters: Ethnographic Modernism from Wells to Woolf
British Fiction and Cross-Cultural Encounters: Ethnographic Modernism from Wells to Woolf by Snyder